Segars Engineering is a fast growing design firm located in Charlottesville, VA. The firm is focused on providing 3D designs to a growing list of well-known industrial clients. Our motto is "See it, Solve it!" because we believe that seeing the problem is the first step towards a solution.
This position may be eligible for partnership status if certain criteria (PE, etc.) are met.
Reporting to our Site Engineer in Covington, VA, this position designs and supports the implementation of capital projects within a plant/mill setting while supporting the mill safety, reliability, and improvement efforts. The candidate should have the ability to manage several projects that span multiple engineering disciplines, with the primary focus on electrical engineering, and will require working with Project and Process Engineers, as well as occasionally Maintenance and Operations personnel.
- Prepare electrical schematics for instruments, controls, electrical devices, pumps and motors.
- Prepare engineering designs, specifications, and technical recommendations necessary to support procurement and construction activities.
- Effective communication skills. Fluent knowledge of the English language.
- Coordinate and review vendor equipment, installation and other discipline drawings for operability and maintainability input.
- Assist in developing capital investment proposals and including detailed design and construction of approved capital projects.
- Apply technical know-how and analysis to understand complex designs. Collaborate with client project engineer to identify the optimal design solution for various operating problems and for installation of new or modified equipment.
- Assist with process design activities including equipment sizing, design of PFD’s and P&ID’s, loop sheets, E/I diagrams, process control and instrument specification.
- Ensure equipment and materials are procured and installed as per Regulatory bodies (OSHA, EPA, NFPA 70 (NEC), ASME, API etc) and client company’s engineering standards and specifications.
- Ensure project design and implementation abides by mill/plant safety policies.
- Requires a minimum of a Bachelor's degree in Electrical Engineering or related field from an accredited college or university.
- Requires a minimum of 5-10 years of experience in electrical design for a manufacturing environment. A professional engineer’s license is desired.
- Experience in pulp and paper or manufacturing industry and exposure to construction services is desired. Desired candidate must be physically capable of climbing a 20 foot ladder and navigating through production equipment.
- Knowledge of power distribution equipment (switchgear, breakers, capacitors, load sharing) as well as PLC’s and DCS systems and VFD’s (variable frequency drives).
- Expertise in AutoCAD, Revit and/or 3D modeling desired.
- Familiar with Feasibility/Front End Loading studies.
- Must be a US citizen or permanent resident.
Segars Engineering strives to compensate all employees in the top 25th percentile for their particular discipline or area of expertise. We offer IRA contributions, health care and bonus compensation, life insurance plan and reimbursement for spa membership.
Direct all inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org, Subject: Electrical Engineer Position